If you've found yourself bundled in blankets, wishing for relief from the cold winter weather these past few weeks, Label has just the remedy! Jody Brimacombe shares a cozy hot chocolate recipe that she has perfected herself to keep you warm and happy.
Okay, I have a question: why don’t people go for hot chocolate more? Seriously. I always meet up with friends for coffee, or tea, or sometimes both in one sitting (hey, exam week calls for double the caffeine, right?). But I’ve never had a friend ask me to go for hot chocolate. Go figure. Anyways, the end result is that I end up making hot chocolate at home and experimenting with wacky flavours. I’ve tried everything from peppermint to almond to pumpkin spice latte (yes, I’m that type of girl) but this vegan salted caramel hot chocolate takes the cake.
Why is this hot chocolate the clear winner, you ask? Well, the oat milk gives the drink a really creamy taste, while the date syrup adds an addicting toffee kick. Plus, it only takes about ten minutes to make. That’s right. You can whip it up as a last-minute treat before your nightly Netflix marathon.
- 1 cup or 240 mL oat milk
- ½ - 1 Tbsp date syrup*
- 1 Tbsp cocoa powder
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- ½ tsp cinnamon
- 1 can heavy coconut cream
- 1 Tbsp powdered sugar
- Pinch of sea salt
- Chill your coconut milk in the refrigerator overnight, then remove it; scrape the thickened cream at the top of the can into a large mixing bowl, leaving the liquid behind.
- Add the powdered sugar.
- Beat the coconut cream for 30 seconds with a mixer. When it becomes light and fluffy, set the mixture aside.
- Add milk, date syrup, cocoa powder, vanilla extract, cinnamon, and salt to a small pot. Warm over low heat for 5-6 minutes, or until mixture turns smooth and chocolatey.
- Pour the hot chocolate into a mug, and top with two scoops of the coconut cream. Serve immediately.
*Note that if you use the full tablespoon, your drink will be extra sweet!
Bookmark this recipe for the next time that you’re craving something warm and chocolatey. Extra points if you enjoy it with a cozy blanket, pyjamas, and a good book!