Summer is fast approaching, and nobody wants to spend hours in a hot kitchen when the weather is sunny and warm. Jody Brimacombe shares her carrot cake mug cake recipe to satisfy your cravings in under five minutes. (PS: it's vegan!)
(Photographer: Jody Brimacombe)
You know how Superman’s weakness is kryptonite? Well, if I became a superhero, my weakness would be mug cakes. No joke. I can’t get enough of them, especially going into exam season. There’s nothing that motivates me to memorize quotes from Renaissance poetry better than a cake that can be thrown together in two minutes in my microwave. Talk about convenient.
This carrot cake mug cake is like Easter in a cup. The savoury blend of cinnamon, ginger, and sultanas honestly makes me feel like I’m digging into a hot cross bun. Plus, the shredded carrot locks in moisture, so you get a dense sponge. Mmm.
- ¼ cup buckwheat flour
- 1 Tbsp brown sugar
- ¼ tsp baking powder
- ¼ tsp cinnamon
- 1/8 tsp ginger
- 3 Tbsp almond milk
- 1 Tbsp oil
- 2 ½ Tbsp carrot, shredded
- 2 pecans, chopped
- 1/2 Tbsp sultanas
- dollop of vegan cream cheese
- In a mug, mix together the flour, baking powder, sugar, and spices.
- Mix in the almond milk and oil. Stir until there are no clumps remaining in the batter.
- Fold in the shredded carrot, pecans, and sultanas.
- Microwave on high for 1 ½ minutes.
- Top with vegan cream cheese and enjoy!
This carrot cake mug cake is completely vegan, tasty, and pretty dang healthy — it clocks in at only 276 calories per serving. If you want to make it even healthier, you can swap out the oil for applesauce.